Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Day 6


Montana Saga- Day 6



Alan writes:

Mimi and I woke a little later this morning and went to breakfast after a short walk here in Kalispell at a neat place called the Split Rock Café.  She had a “Scramble” and I had the “2nd Street Wrap.”  I won’t spend time describing them but if you ever get here try them out. After brunch, we split for Libby planning to drive a triangle and arrive back into Kalispell after supper.  I think that Michael and I rode on Hwy 2 into Kalispell but don’t remember it being so ugly.  At the end of the day I realized that the pretty part was from Idaho to Eureka along the Kootenai River.  Mimi and I began to joke about designations for the roads we’ve ridden and came up with a few.  Here they are.  ASAH (Almost Stunning Almost Heaven); POUR (Plain Old Ugly Road) and AAAC, that Mimi calls the triple A-C (Avoid At All Costs).  These are just stops along the spectrum.  You can tell that we drove more plain and ugly ones than beautiful.  Montana State Hwy.37 was scenic, remote and worth the drive from beginning to end.  Mimi finally saw her bear, a cute little yearling that posed for us before retreating into the woods above the road.  I told her that the only thing that could make this day better for wildlife would be if she saw dolphins swimming up the Kootenai River-but then again, we’d still be there watching them!  Our route led from Kalispell to Libby (surely one of the ugliest towns in Montana), Libby to Eureka and Eureka to White Fish.  I don’t remember White Fish from Michael’s and my time out here but it is a pretty little town, similar to Highlands, NC.  We had supper at Whitefish Lake Restaurant, a great place at a local golf course.  Mimi and I are both feeling a little full and sluggish.  The original plan called for us going back to The Split Rock Café for dessert and coffee while listening to their local talent.  That plan has been altered in favor of a little TV and bed.  See you tomorrow.

Mimi says:

Another great day seeing beautiful sights. The Kootenai River was pretty, but the Koocanusa Lake was amazing! (90 Miles long!) Then the town of Whitefish was quaint and I wished that we had arrived earlier to enjoy some of the shops. We were able to look around in one place where I wanted to buy a stuffed bear to represent the real one we saw today. I loved my prime rib at the neat little restaurant where we ate for dinner. Favorite event of the day … seeing that cute little bear!

McGregor Lake

Koocanusa Lake


Hwy 37 (bear sighting!)


Town of Whitefish


Dinner at Whitefish Lake Restaurant

4 comments:

  1. Can you please bring that cute little bear home for me? I don't think my lease specifies that I can't have one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about it...but I think it was too big to fit in our suitcase.

      Delete
  2. That CUTE little bear reminds me of the little stuffed-animal-bear that I fell in love with that was on my bed when we stayed at Little Bear's Cabin at the base of Mt. Rainier!

    ReplyDelete